Regional Radiological Dispersal Device (R2D2) Plan
This planning effort provides a detailed framework for an integrated local, state, and federal response to the unique circumstances presented by a Radiological Dispersal Device (RDD) detonation.
- Develop an RDD plan for the NY-NJ-CT-PA RCPGP Region that addresses the scientific complexity, specialized resources, and multiple concurrent operations required for an effective response.
- Form a process for regional collaboration to establish common situational awareness, scientific discussion, and a forum for operational coordination requests.
- Identify best practices that incorporate the best scientific research and recommendationsinto an implementable plan.
The R2D2 plan was developed collectively through weekly meetings and conference calls by a diverse planning team that included representatives from local, state, and federal agencies. The team developed a plan consisting of four parts:
- The Regional Playbook details a process for Regional collaboration to establish common situational awareness, scientific discussion, and a forum for operational coordination request.
- A Local Plan Template, intended for local modification, is for operational use at a jurisdictional level following an RDD detonation. It details operational strategies, incident objectives, key decisions, and categorized resources.
- The Federal Integration Procedure defines how the national assets can be most effectively incorporated into the local/regional response framework.
- The Sample RDD Incident Action Plans give examples of the resource requirements and associated operational assignments following a hypothetical RDD detonation.